Friday, January 13, 2012

Deep South Home: Sewing Room Update

I was hoping to have more to share with you today but...
My fabrics still have not shipped and...
I managed to do this little number when putting together the 1st of 3 desks:

I am just going to say I am thankful for Band-Aid Advanced Blister Healing.

So.... while we wait for my hand to heal and courage to use the power drill (w/ screwdriver),
I will give you a run down of the plans.

My sewing room is actually a portion of our closet.
Our closet is a long square with a wall down the middle creating two separate rectangles.
I am sure it is meant for his and hers closets or closet and work out space.
We have decided to make the larger half of the rectangle our closet and the smaller half my sewing/craft space.
This is how I am planning to structure the space.
I really wish I had taken a before picture so that I could show how much I am improving the functionality of the space.

Since you can actually see the craft space/closet from our master bathroom I decided to incorporate our master color palette into the sewing room.
Our master is a calming taupe with brick red, ice blue, and chocolate brown accents.
I am going to punch up the colors a bit in the sewing room and add in a complimentary accent color.
I am using a taupey-grey, lipstick red, aqua, and apple green. While softening everything with the same taupe walls and off-white/birch furniture.

Fabrics:

From Left to Right

Idea for Window Treatments:
I love the clean lines and bold look of this window treatment. Of course, I will resist my Southern urges and leave off the monogram. 
Source: Hi Sugarplum!


Ideas for Wall Art


Ideas for the Peg Board Wall

Use peg board for hanging my scissors, large rulers, ribbon, tulle, twine, gift bags, baskets for cards, and so much more. I love the idea of painting the peg board a fun color to add brightness to the room.


I bought $1.99 trash bag holders from IKEA and will use them to hold my wrapping paper thanks to a great pin.

To-Do List:
  • Purchase 3 work tables from Ikea at $33.99 each (dimensions 47ish" x 23ish" giving a total length of 141" or close to 12' of workspace)
  • Assemble tables and arrange sewing/embroidery machines
  • Paint armoire for storing fabric (probably the taupey-grey in the fabric because I don't want a bright color to distract from my stock of sewing fabrics)
  • Recover lamp shades
  • Cover magnet boards and hang
  • Make window treatments
  • Hang peg board
  • Clean out and organize "gear"
  • Make a chair cushion
  • Order fabric
  • Hire electrician to install outlets (yeah having to run an extension cord these days one machine at a time)
What projects are you planning on knocking out these days and what are your thoughts on my sewing room update?

Ever have questions or want to request a recipe or tutorial, comment or email me at deepsouthsweets@gmail.com. You can also visit Deep South Sweets on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest!



blog signature - 4/2011

4 comments:

  1. Ouch, that blister looks rough! Can't wait to see the sewing room when it's all finished, I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes. That blister is tough!

    Ok, Im such a dork- but that room is my friend, Cassie, daughter's room! See, the link is here! :)

    http://hisugarplum.blogspot.com/2011/06/babygirls-room-reveal.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren,

      Not a dork at all. I am so excited to see the full room that accompanied the awesome window treatments!

      I will also update the blog to reflect the correct source!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the site, I found a lot of useful information for us.

    ReplyDelete